Let’s explore this Subclass 173 visa
This post provides you with detailed information about Subclass 173 visa. This visa may give you another option to be reunited with your children in Australia.
What is a Subclass 173 visa?
It is a temporary visa allowing parents who want to come to live with their children in one of the best countries in the world. The duration of this visa is up to 2 years and if you want to continue to stay in Australia permanently, you need to apply for a Subclass 143 visa.
Benefits of a Subclass 173 visa
- Staying in Australia up to 2 years.
- Allowing to work unlimited hours.
- Studying in any Australian Institution (but not yet getting support from the government).
- Getting an Australian’s medicare.
- Applying for Australian citizenship.
Requirements to apply for a contributory parent (temporary) visa
To apply for a Subclass 173, both applicants and sponsors need to fulfil the requirements.
- Must be sponsored by their children who are an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
- Must meet the balance – of – family test.
- Must meet health and character requirements.
- Must not have a sponsored parent visa – Subclass 870.
- Must not owe to the Australian governments.
- Must be an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
- Must provide accommodation and financial support.
- Must live in Australia for at least 2 years.
Contact VEM for a free consultancy session. One of our migration consultants will assist you with your application.
Cost of applying for a Subclass 173
The visa application fee is appropriate 31,390AUD and divided into 2 instalments. Any family members who apply with you will also be charged.
In addition, there will be other costs for health and police checks.
Contact us for more information.
Processing time of a Subclass 173
This subclass does not have a specific processing time. According to VEM’s experience it can take up to 4 years.
Call VEM for free consultations.
Notes about a Subclass 173 visa
You cannot extend for a longer stay and cannot re – apply this visa. You do not need to pay for assurance support when applying for this visa (different from Subclass 143).
However, you can stay in Australia for 2 years and be able to apply for a Subclass 143 visa to become a permanent resident. You must comply with the visa conditions: “8502” and “8515” before applying for a Subclass 173 visa.
The process of applying for a contributory parent (temporary) visa
- Step 1: Checking if you meet the requirements.
- Step 2: Making the application.
- Step 3: Your application is processed and placed in a queue.
- Step 4: Paying the second instalment at the time of decision.
- Step 5: Being granted a visa.
Q&A about a Subclass 173 visa
You cannot apply for any bridging visa while waiting for the case officer to deicide your application.
ABSOLUTELY. You can include your partner, child or your partner’s child in your application. If they are granted a visa, they will have the same benefits and obligations as you.
The answer is NO. If you change from a Subclass 173 visa to a Subclass 143 visa, you will be placed back to the queue and your application will be processed again.
Contact VEM to be advised according to your circumstances.