Applying a Subclass 870 visa for your parent to stay temporarily in Australia
Australia is a well developed country with the world – standard social system, and it is also well – known with humanitarian policies.
Since April 2019 the government has issued an Australian sponsored parent (temporary) visa for immigrants to reunite with their children. Let’s find out with VEM about this visa.
What is a sponsored parent (temporary) visa?
This visa allows parents to stay in Australia temporarily with their children who are an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
The duration of stay is longer than a visitor visa, which is up to 5 years with no stay duration limit as a visitor visa – Subclass 600.
Benefits of a Subclass 870 visa
- Having a chance to reunite with your children.
- Visiting Australia for up to 5 years (depending on the duration you want to).
- Being able to reapply for a further Sponsored Parent (Temporary) Visas to visit Australia maximum of 10 years.
- Having multiple travels between your country and Australia.
Requirements to apply for a Subclass 870 visa
To apply for this visa, both applicants and sponsors must fulfil the following requirements:
- Must have an approved Parent Sponsorship when lodging the visa application.
- Must have enough money to support yourself.
- Must have a genuine intention to stay temporarily.
- Meet health and character requirements.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be a settled Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New ZeaLand citizen.
- Must apply for a sponsorship before a Subclass 870 visa application can be lodged.
- Must provide accommodation and financial support.
- Must pass the income test.
- Must agree to comply with sponsorship obligations.
- Meet the character requirements.
Contact VEM’s consultants if you have any further questions about the requirements.
Cost of a sponsored parent (temporary) visa
The sponsorship application fee is 420AUD. The visa application fee is from 5,000AUD to 10,000AUD (not including 1.4% surcharge) and divided into 2 instalments.
For the first instalment, you only need to pay 1,000AUD. The second one will depend on your duration of stay:
- 4,000AUD for 3 years.
- 9,000AUD for 5 years.
In addition, you may need to pay for your health and police checks.
Contact VEM’s consultants for more advice.
Processing time of a Subclass 870 visa
It takes 3 – 4 months according to the DHA’s website at present. The processing time can be changed from time to time. Preparing your application properly can avoid wasting time and visa refusal.
Contact us for more support with your application.
Notes about a Subclass 870 visa
- Cannot work during your stay.
- Cannot extend for a longer stay but can leave Australia and reapply for this visa.
- Cannot include family members.
- Not required to meet the balance – of – family test.
- Do not need to pay for Assurance of Support.
This is a great opportunity for parents to reunite with their children, especially when they do not meet the requirement of balance of family test for a parent visa.
Contact VEM’s consultants for further information. It is our honor to assist you and your family
Q&A about a Subclass 870 visa
If your mother’s visitor visa does not have a condition called “no further stay” and must have a compelling and compassionate reason she can apply for subclass 870. Otherwise she should apply for another subclass 600 visitor visa.
No, you need to become a permanent resident first before becoming a citizen.