Orphans deserve to be loved and have a better life in Australia
If you want to sponsor your relative who is an orphan to Australia, the Orphan Relative Visa – Subclass 117 is the best pathway. Let VEM help you to discover this visa.
What is a Subclass 117 visa?
This is a permanent visa that allows the child who is a single orphan and whose parents are dead or lost or unable to care for them to come and live with a relative in Australia.
Benefits of an Orphan Relative Visa
- Staying in Australia as a permanent resident.
- Studying and working with full support of permanent residents.
- Being entitled for Australia medicare (covering most health services with no costs).
- Having multiple travels between Australia and your country within 5 years.
- Being able to sponsor relatives to come to Australia after 5 years.
- Applying for an Australian citizenship if you meet the requirements.
Requirements for a Subclass 117 visa
Both applicants and sponsors need to meet the following requirements to apply for this visa:
- Must be under 18 years old, single and have no parent.
- Must be sponsored by a relative who is a settled Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
- Must be offshore when lodging the visa application.
- Must meet health and character requirements.
- Must have a consent to migrate to Australia.
- Must be an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
- Must have the sponsorship approved.
- Must provide financial support and assist with accommodation for the child in the first 2 years.
Contact VEM’s consultants for more information.
Cost of an Orphan Relative Visa
The visa application fee is 1,630AUD (not including 1.4% surcharge). If the child has siblings who want to apply, the application and fee must be separately.
Additionally, there will be other costs for police and health checks.
Processing time of a Subclass 117 visa
There is no specific time for this subclass. However, with our experience the processing time can be:
- 75% of the applications are processed within 56 months.
- 90% of the applications are processed within 63 months.
Your applications could take a longer process if you do not prepare your documents properly. Contact VEM for more assistance.
Documents need to prepare to apply for a Subclass 117 visa
- Identity documents.
- Travel documents.
- Evidence that the child is an orphan.
- Evidence of the child’s relationship to the relative.
The process of applying for an Orphan Relative Visa
There are 4 main steps to apply for this visa:
- Step 1: Preparing your documents.
- Step 2: Applying for a Subclass 117 visa.
- Step 3: Providing further documents (if required).
- Step 4: Being granted an Orphan Relative Visa – Subclass 117.
Notes about a Subclass 117 visa
The child’s dependent children can be included in the application when applying or at any time before the visa is granted.
Q&A about a Subclass 117 visa
The answer is NO. You can apply for an Orphan Relative – Subclass 117 visa for your nephew to immigrate to Australia. When he is granted the visa, he can live and have benefits as an Australia permanent resident. Therefore, he does not need to pay for any additional fee.
The answer is NO. The child does not have a mother but still has a father who is able to take care of him/her.