You can live in Australia permanently to provide care for your relative
With a Carer Visa – Subclass 116 you can come to Australia to provide care to your relative who needs long-term assistance due to their serious illness or health conditions.
What is a Subclass 116 visa?
This is a permanent visa that allows you to stay permanently in Australia to take care of your relative. Your relative, however, needs to prove that other relatives or welfare, hospital, nursing or community services in Australia are unable to give them sufficient care and assistance to their health or medical conditions.
Benefits of a Carer Visa
- Staying in Australia as a permanent resident.
- Having full working and studying rights.
- Being eligible for Australian medicare.
- Being able to sponsor your family members.
- Applying for Australian citizenship when meeting the requirements.
Requirements for a Subclass 116
- Must be offshore when lodging the visa application and sponsored by the relatives or their spouse who is an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand.
- Must willing and be able to provide care for your relative.
- Must meet health and character requirements.
- Must sign the Australian values statement.
- Must be an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
- Must be approved of sponsorship.
- Must provide accommodation and financial support for the applicant in the first 2 years.
- Must have obtained or been in the process of obtaining the medical certificate from Bupa Medical Visa Services.
- Must be unable to get the care you need in Australia from another relative, an Australian welfare, nursing in hospital and your community services.
Cost of applying for Carer Visa – Subclass 116
The visa application fee is 3,860AUD (not including 1.4% surcharge) and divided into 2 instalments. You need to pay the first instalment when lodging your visa application.
The payment of the second instalment is paid at the time of decision. Each family member who applies with the applicant will also have to pay for the visa application fee.
In addition, there are other costs for health and police checks.
Contact VEM for free consultations.
Processing time for a Subclass 116
There is no specific processing time for this subclass. It is better to prepare the required documents and application properly to avoid any deferral or visa refusal.
Do not hesitate to contact VEM for further information.
The process of applying for a Carer Visa
- Step 1: Checking if you meet the requirements and prepare the required documents.
- Step 2: Making the application.
- Step 3: Your application is processed and placed in a queue.
- Step 4: Paying the second instalment at the time decision.
- Step 5: Being granted a Subclass 116 visa.
Q&A about a Carer Visa – Subclass 116
You need to provide a Bupa Medical Certificate of your Australian relative when applying for a Carer Visa to prove that your relative is unable to get the care they need in Australia from another relative, an Australian welfare, nursing in hospital and your community services.
It is a part of the requirements that you need to prove that there are no health services and relatives in Australia could take care of your relative.
You may include your immediate family members in your application. They must also meet health and character requirements.