Working and improving your skills with a Subclass 482 visa
A Subclass 482 visa is a substitution of a Subclass 457 from 18.03.2018. Let’s find out with VEM about this Temporary Skill Shortage Visa – Subclass 482 in the post below.
What is a Subclass 482 visa?
This is a temporary visa that allows Australian employers to sponsor eligible skilled workers from overseas to fill in positions in their business which cannot be filled by suitable Australian workers.
Depending on the needs of Australian society, the occupations are divided into 2 main streams: Short – term stream and Medium – term stream.
Besides, there is also a Labour agreement stream including the particular occupations that employers need for their own businesses.
Short – term stream
To be eligible for a visa of this stream, you must be nominated by An Australian employer or organisation with an occupation on the Short-term Skilled Occupation List.
This visa allows you to work for the Australian sponsor up to 2 years or 4 years if there is an International Trade Obligation (ITO) or 5 years if you are a Hong Kong passport holder.
Medium – term stream
To be eligible for a visa of this stream, you must be nominated by An Australian employer or organisation with an occupation on the – term Skilled Occupation List. This visa allows you to work for the Australian sponsor up to 4 years or 5 years if you are a Hong Kong passport holder.
Labour agreement stream
This stream is only for workers who are nominated by an Australian business/organization with a specific occupation under the terms of a Labour Agreement.
Labour Agreements are the terms developed between your sponsors and Australian Government (represented by the Immigration Department).
Benefits of a Temporary Skilled Shortage Visa
A Temporary Skilled Shortage Visa gives you an opportunity to work and improve your skills in one of best developed countries in the world. The benefits you can earn while holding this visa as follows:
- Working in Australia for up to 5 years depending on which stream you apply.
- Applying for a Permanent Resident Visa – Subclass 186 after 3 – year of working for the sponsor.
- Studying in any Australian Institution (but not getting support from the government).
Follow our website VEM to explore more about other visa subclasses.
Requirements for a Subclass 482 visa
To apply for this visa, there are some requirements you need to follow:
- Must be a holder of an appropriate visa if you are in Australia when lodging the visa application.
- Must be sponsored/nominated by an approved Australian employer or organization.
- Must work under a labour agreement (if applying for labour agreement stream).
- Must have work experience, skills, qualifications and employment background related to your occupation.
- Must have English language proficiency (equivalent to IELTS 5.0)
- Must have positive skills assessment (required for certain occupation).
- Must have Australian health insurance.
- Must meet health and character requirements.
- Must apply to become a Standard Business Sponsor.
- Must nominate the overseas employee for an occupation that is on a Short – term Skilled Occupation List or Medium and Long – term Strategic Skill Lists or a Regional Occupation List (Labour agreement stream).
- Must have a Labour Agreement (if applying for Labour Agreement Stream).
- Must provethat there is no Australian worker with suitable skills and experience to fill in the position.
- Must have a genuine position available for the nominee.
- Must engage an employment written contract with employment conditions that are suitable to Australian Law and signed by both parties.
- Must not be engage in discrimination practice.
Obligations of a Subclass 482 visa
- Must be able to maintain your own health insurance while in Australia.
- Must only work for the business/organization that nominated you and the occupation that you are nominated (unless you have exemption).
- Must not cease employment for 60 consecutive days.
- Must keep any license or registration that is compulsory for the nominated position.
- Must comply with the conditions and requirements of the visa.
- Must cooperate with inspectors (provide record and information when needed).
- Must ensure equivalent terms and conditions of the employment contract.
- Must ensure the nominated employee only works in the nominated position.
- Must be up to date with the Sponsor Notifications.
Please contact our VEM’s consultants if you have any questions.
Cost of a Temporary Skilled Shortage Visa
Different Stream has different visa application fee:
|Streams||Application fee (not including 1.4% surcharge)|
|Short – term stream||1,290AUD|
|Medium – term stream||2,690AUD|
|Labour agreement stream||2,690AUD|
Do not hesitate to contact us if you need any help!
There are also costs for English tests, health and police checks.
Processing time of a Temporary Skilled Shortage Visa
Depending on which stream you apply may have a different processing time:
|Short – term stream||75% of the applications are processed in 9 months. |
90% of the applications are processed in 10 months.
|Medium – term stream||75% of the applications are processed in 7 months. |
90% of the applications are processed in 9 months.
|Labour agreement stream||75% of the applications are processed in 7 months. |
90% of the applications are processed in 11 months.
|Subsequent Entrant||Processing time is not available.|
The processing time can be changed from time to time. Preparing your application properly can avoid wasting time and visa refusal.
The process of a Subclass 482 visa
The process of applying for this visa includes 5 steps:
- Step 1: Business/organization applies to become a sponsor.
- Step 2: The Department of Home Affairs approves sponsorship.
- Step 3: The business/organization nominates you for a skilled shortage occupation position.
- Step 4: You apply for the visa.
- Step 5: Subclass 482 visa is granted to you.
Q&A about a Temporary Skilled Shortage Visa – Subclass 482
ABSOLUTELY! There is no age limit for this visa subclass.
Yes, you can. You can include your partner/spouse or children together with your visa application as dependent family members. Each family member included also needs to pay an additional fee.
Yes, you can.
Contact VEM to be assisted with your visa application.