What has changed for a Subclass 489 visa in 2021?
It can be said that the Australian Subclass 489 visa is the first turning point for many workers to get closer to the Australian dream. However, now that the Subclass 489 visa has been replaced by the Subclass 491 visa. How does this change affect you? This article will cover all information about this visa.
What is a Subclass 489 visa?
This visa allows highly skilled workers with their families to live and work in designated areas of Australia for up to 4 years.
If you are sponsored by a relative, you will need to live for a minimum of 2 years and work full time for 12 months in the designated area to be eligible for the Subclass 887 visa.
Visa 489 has 3 forms of application:
- Invited pathway: for new applicants.
- Extended stay pathway: for workers who already have a Subclass 475, 487, 495, or 496 visa.
- Subsequent entry pathway: for relatives of workers who have a Subclass 475, 487, 495, or 496 visa.
Note: on November 16th, 2019, the Subclass 489 visa was replaced with a new Skilled Work Regional visa – Subclass 491 according to the Australian Government’s regulations. In addition, you can also refer to a Subclass 190 or a Subclass 887. These are two types of skilled permanent resident visas that you can apply for after holding a Subclass 491 visa.
Requirements of a Subclass 489 visa
Working and living locations
You must live and work in the area of the Australian State/Territory Government that has sponsored you.
In the event that a relative is eligible for nomination, you and your loved one must live and work in the following areas:
- NSW: anywhere but Sydney, Newcastle, the Central Coast, Wollongong.
- In the Northern Territory: the entire state, territory.
- Queensland: everywhere except Brisbane and the city centre.
- South Australia: the entire state.
- Tasmania: the entire state.
- Victoria: the entire state.
- Western Australia: the entire state.
Who can sponsor for an eligible family member?
To be sponsored to Australia through a Subclass 489 visa, you must have an eligible relative who is an Australian citizen/Australian permanent resident/New Zealand citizen. That guarantor must be 18 years or older.
Your relationship with the sponsor must fall under the following circumstances:
- Aunt and aunt.
- Grandson and granddaughter.
If you need Mr. Phong Cao – a member of the Migration Institute of Australia (MIA: 12648) to help you with your application, use VEM’s visa service to Australia.
Benefits of a Subclass 489 visa
Here are 3 great benefits of the Australia Subclass 489 visa:
- Stay in Australia for up to 4 years.
- Work, live and study in Australia.
- Sponsor relatives and family to come to Australia to live and work.
Step-by-step of a Subclass 489 visa
The Subclass 489 visa application process has 5 basic steps:
- Step 1: Gather all necessary documents.
- Step 2: Prepare documents to prove English proficiency, relatives, health certificate, criminal record, etc.
- Step 3: Submit your 489 visa application online.
- Step 4: The DHA receives your application.
- Step 5: Receive the visa grant in writing.
When applying for a Subclass 489 visa, you must prepare the following basic documents:
- Criminal record in the countries you have lived in.
- Degrees, transcripts, certificates, awards.
- IELTS certificate.
- CV/resumé, work recommendation letter.
At VEM, the person who directly advises and supports clients is also the CEO of the company – Mr. Phong Cao. He is licensed by the Australian Government (MARN: 1577877). So one of his obligations is to advise the clients correctly.
Cost of a Subclass 489 visa
The cost of applying for a Subclass 489 visa for the main applicant is:
- Extended stay pathway: 360 AUD
- Subsequent entry pathway: $4,045 AUD.
How to calculate the migration score for a Subclass 489 visa?
Latest information about a Subclass 489 visa
The Australian Subclass 489 visa was replaced by the Subclass 491 visa from November 16th, 2019. The Subclass 491 visa belongs to the Skilled visas in Australia.
With this visa, the skills scoring process does not change. But the scoring system will be implemented in a way that is more beneficial to visa applicants.
This opportunity will help workers get more points and have a higher chance of getting a visa. Besides, the duration of a Subclass 491 visa is also extended by 1 year.
What you should notice about the migration points
|Applicants who receive an invitation from the Regional Government of Australia or be sponsored by an applicant’s family member currently living in regional Australia.||15 points|
|Applicants who have a skilled spouse and pass the skills assessment.||10 points|
|Applicants with degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.||10 points|
|Applicants whose spouse has an English level of IELTS 6.0 (no band less than 6.0). Or PTE 50 (no skill below 50).||5 points|
To calculate the correct score, you can contact VEM for assistance.
Advice from our professional migration consultant for a Subclass 489 visa
If you are interested in migrating to Australia as a skilled worker, you should thoroughly research Australian skilled visas.
The innovation in Australian Government policy has brought more opportunities for workers. However, applying for a visa is not easy, because the rules seem to be constantly being renewed.
What you have to do right now is to find yourself a reliable support person who is knowledgeable about Australian migration law. With 21 years of experience in the field of migration, VEM is confident to be your reliable companion.
VEM hopes this article may provide you with important information about a Subclass 489 visa.
If there are any questions, make sure you leave a comment down below or contact VEM via our hot for immediate assistance.