Let’s explore this permanent residence employer sponsored visa
An Employer Nomination Scheme Visa – Subclass 186 is the great opportunity for qualified skilled workers to come to Australia to work and live permanently in Australia.
What is a Subclass 186 visa?
This visa allows Australian business/organization/employers to nominate/sponsor suitable skilled workers from overseas to Australia to work for them.
Visa holders will become permanent residents immediately when the visa is granted. A Subclass 186 visa has 3 different streams including:
- Direct Entry Stream.
- Labour Agreement Stream.
- Temporary Residence Transition Stream.
Direct Entry Stream
To apply for this stream, you must be sponsored/nominated by an eligible Australian business organization/employer.
Your occupation must be on the Medium and Short – term Skills Strategic Occupation List and you must meet the requirements of this visa stream (see the below requirements).
Labour Agreement Stream
To be eligible for this stream, you must also be sponsored/nominated by an eligible business organization/employer.
The crucial requirement of this stream is that the employer needs to have a Labour Agreement with the Australian Government (the DHA) before being able to sponsor overseas employees. See the below requirements for applicants.
Temporary Residence Transition Stream
This stream is for those who have held and satisfied the condition of a Subclass 482 Visa for at least 3 years. The applicant needs to continuously be sponsored/nominated for this visa stream by the eligible employer and meet other requirements (see below).
Benefits of a Subclass 186 visa
- Staying in Australia as a permanent resident.
- Having full study and work rights.
- Being entitled for Australia medicare.
- Being able to sponsor your relatives.
- Travelling in and out Australia unlimited times.
- Being able to apply for Australian citizenship.
Requirements of a Subclass 186 visa
- Must be sponsored/nominated by a suitable Australian business/organization.
- Must have an occupation which is nominated and on the Medium and Short – term Skills Strategic Occupation List (except for the Labour Agreement stream).
- Must have at least 3 years experience related to your occupation (except for the Labour Agreement stream).
- Must pass the skills assessment to show you are able to perform skills and work in the nominated position.
- Must be registered, licensed or a member of a professional organization if it is required in the state or territory you intend to work and stay.
- Must be working under Labour Agreement terms and conditions (if apply in labour agreement stream).
- Must meet standard English, health and character requirements.
- Must be under 45 years old (if apply for Direct Entry Stream) and under 50 years old (if apply for Temporary Residence Transition Stream).
- Must be an eligible Australian business/organization to sponsor/nominate overseas workers .
- Must have a current Labour Agreement longer than 6 months (if sponsoring employees under Labour Agreement Stream).
- Must pay the Skilling Australians Fund (SAF) for any nomination application submitted.
- Must be the applicant’s current sponsor if you sponsor/nominate your worker through Temporary Residence Transition Stream.
- Other requirements.
Contact one of our consultants for more details.
Cost of an Employer Nomination Scheme Visa
The visa application fee is 4,045AUD (not including 1.4% surcharge) for all streams of this visa subclass. Besides, you are also required to pay for police and health checks when lodging the visa application.
Please let us know if you need any help.
For sponsors there are other costs involved in applying for the Standard Business Sponsorship (SBS) and Nomination. Contact one of our consultants for more details.
Processing time of a Subclass 186 visa
The processing time normally depends on each circumstance of each application. It may take longer if your documents are not well – prepared. Each stream has different processing time.
|Direct Entry Stream||75% of the applications are processed in 4 months. |
90% of the applications are processed in 7 months.
|Labour Agreement Stream||There is no specific processing time for this stream due to low volume of applications.|
|Temporary Residence Transition Stream||75% of the applications are processed in 4 months. |
90% of the applications are processed in 9 months.
The processing time can be changed from time to time. Preparing your documents and applications properly can avoid wasting time and visa refusal.
Q&A about a Subclass 186 visa
Yes, you can. You are able to include your partner or dependent child or stepchild or your partner dependent child.
When holding a Subclass 186 visa, you must fulfill the employment contract between you and your employer. Basically you are required to work for the employer for at least 2 years. You may leave your employer if your employer allows you to do so.
You can both be onshore and offshore when lodging the visa application. However, there are some requirements for both circumstances.
Contact VEM’s consultants for more advice.